VIDEO: Dog and owner recovering from severe burns
10:40 p.m. EST, February 12, 2014
A dog and one of her owners are recovering from severe burns suffered during a procedure to remove fleas and ticks from the pet, according to fire officials.
Jess Olivas and Telma Botcherby were treating Ruby, a terrier, with a pest control medication at their Fox Ridge home in Parkland on Tuesday. The pests were jumping off the dog, but Coral Springs Fire Rescue spokesman Mike Moser said they then tried to kill the bugs with a barbecue lighter.
“The dog panics when it sees the flame and jumps over the lighter,” he said. “The dog has this flammable chemical on it [that] catches fire.”
Bug spray fire
Dog rescued from Fort Lauderdale high-rise fire
Olivas picked up the dog, ran out of the house and into the backyard, then jumped into the pool to put out the flames, Moser said.
“This took enough time to burn his upper torso and arms significantly,” Moser said.
Olivas was taken to Broward Health North and subsequently transferred to the Jackson Memorial Burn Center. Ruby suffered burns over 50 percent of her body and was being treated by a Margate veterinarian, officials said.